Lance Corporal Cecil Albert Leopold Bell

 

Cecil Albert Leopold Bell was born on 9 September 1895 at 108 Stephen's Green, South Belfast, the only child of farmer and victualler Albert Edward Bell and his wife Ada (née Wardell). At the time of the 1911 Census he was living as a student at the Society of Friends Boarding School, Dunmore Road, Waterford.

Bell enlisted in the 6th (Inniskilling) Dragoons Service Squadron between 15 September and 12 November 1915 (No. UD/305). He trained at the squadron's reserve base at the Castle Barracks, Enniskillen, the original squadron having embarked for France on 6 October 1915 as divisional cavalry to the 36th (Ulster) Division.

From 1 to 12 January 1917 he underwent a course in grenades at the Irish Command Bombing School in Dublin, qualifying as a 1st Class Instructor.

The following April Bell was one of ten men of the reserve squadron who transferred to the Machine Gun Corps (Cavalry) (No.105462) – together with around ten from the South Irish Horse. They embarked for France on 24 April. Nothing further has been discovered about his service with the MGC through 1917 and 1918.

On 26 March 1919 he was demobilised and transferred to Class Z, Army Reserve.

By 1921 Bell was living at 32 Lower Mount Pleasant Avenue, Dublin, and working as an auctioneer. On 16 August he married Mary Dorothy Nicholson in St Partick's Church of Ireland Church, Kirkinriola, County Antrim. They later lived in Belfast – by 1965 at 1 Glenmillan Park. Cecil died in the Royal Victoria Hospital on 21 January that year.

 

This page last updated 4 May 2023.