Private Charles Louden


The background of this man is not clear. Based on Census records, however, three possibilities suggest themselves. Two of these can be ruled out, as they served in other regiments during the war. The third man was born on 28 July 1895 at Killahara, Thurles, County Tipperary, the last of at least five children of Scottish-born parents, land steward John Wedderburn Louden and his wife Mary Anne (née Smith). His father died when he was just ten years old. At the time of the 1911 Census he was living at Killahara with relatives Isaac and Elizabeth Taylor and working as a gardener.

Louden enlisted in the 6th (Inniskilling) Dragoons Service Squadron around Janaury 1916 (regimental number not known – later Corps of Hussars No.21295). After training at the squadron reserve at Enniskillen, in 1917 or 1918 he embarked for service overseas. It appears that he was one of at least a dozen men of the Inniskillings reserve squadron who were attached to the 1st King's Edward's Horse Regiment. During 1917 and 1918 this regiment served as corps cavalry in France and Italy.

On 2 December 1919 Louden was demobilised and transferred to Class Z, Army Reserve.

By 1921 the Charles Louden from Killahara was living at Derrygonnelly, County Fermanagh, where he was employed as a special constable with the RIC. On 13 July that year he married Maud McWilliams in the Lisbellaw Parish Church.

He may be the same man referred to in a report of the Northern Whig and Belfast Post of 4 November 1927. Describing a major fire at Kilpatrick Bros drapery establishment in Enniskillen, the paper reported that:

Charles Louden, the railway carter, who had been doing excellent work, rushed with some policemen into the main portion of Kirkpatrick's to get the hose on a particular part of the rear of Herbert's, when [a] portion of a wall collapsed and buried Louden. The police with bare hands and in blinding smoke tore away the red-hot bricks, and after ten minutes' gallant work pulled Louden out unconscious. He had seven ribs and a shoulder-blade broken, and was almost suffocated.

Conveyed to the County Hospital, it seems he recovered from his injuries.

Louden died in Enniskillen on 2 September 1965.


This page last updated 22 September 2023.