Sergeant William Thomas Moffitt



William Thomas Moffitt was born on 12 August 1895 at Dooederney, Lisbofin, County Fernanagh, the third of seven children of farmer John Moffitt and his wife Annie (née Ellis). His father died when he was just eight years old. At the time of the 1911 Census he was living at Dooederney with his mother and siblings, and working on the family farm.

Moffitt enlisted in the 6th (Inniskilling) Dragoons Service Squadron between 2 and 6 October 1914 (No. UD/15), and was soon after promoted to the rank of sergeant. On 6 October 1915 he embarked for France with his squadron, which was then serving as divisional cavalry to the 36th (Ulster) Division.

He was briefly mentioned in the squadron's war diary on 15 March 1916:

Sergt Moffit & Corpl Davies detailed to attend 3rd Course at the 36th Divl School of Instruction at Beauval on 20th inst.

In June 1916 the Inniskilling squadron joined with C and F Squadrons of the North Irish Horse to form the 2nd North Irish Horse Regiment, serving as corps cavalry to X Corps. In September 1917 the regiment was disbanded and its men were transferred to the Royal Irish Fusiliers, an infantry battalion. Most, including Moffitt, were transferred on 20 September and posted to the 9th (Service) Battalion – renamed the 9th (North Irish Horse) Battalion – joining it in the field at Ruyaulcourt some days later. Moffitt was issued regimental number 41511 and posted to B Company, with the rank of lance corporal.

He probably saw action with the battalion at the Battle of Cambrai in November and December 1917.

Moffitt was one of the many listed as missing following the retreat from St Quentin from 21 to 28 March 1918 during the German spring offensive. He was later located, however, having been wounded.

On 30 March 1919 he was demobilised and transferred to Class Z, Army Reserve.

Soon after his discharged Moffitt emigrated, sailing n November 1920 from London to Melbourne, Australia.

This image, part of a group photo of officers and NCOs of the squadron, appeared in the Belfast Evening Telegraph of 28 January 1915. The full image can be seen here.


This page last updated 13 January 2023.