Corporal Andrew Lindsay


Andrew Lindsay was born on 30 December 1887 at Bunavally, Castlegarden [Cashellgarron], County Sligo, the second of five children of farmer Robert Lindsay and his wife Sarah Anne (nee Irwin). By 1911 he was living with his parents and two siblings at Mullaghnaneane, Sligo, and working on the family farm.

Lindsay enlisted in the North Irish Horse at Ballyshannon on 26 February 1910 (No.470). He was promoted to lance corporal on 8 April 1912 and corporal on 7 March 1914.

In March 1912 Lindsay was involved in a case before the Sligo Rural Petty Sessions:

Robert Irwin, Mullaghaneane, summoned Andrew Lindsay, of same place, for having assualted him on the public road on the 5th January. ...

Complainant deposed that on the date in question he was coming home from the creamery, and on the way he met the defendant, who was driving a cart. The defendant got of the cart, approached witness and asked him how his hand was. Witness, who had got his hand injured in the creamery some time previous to that, said it was better, but that he was still unable to bend two of his fingers. Defendant then asked him if he was as good a man as he was when in "Mac's," where he boasted he had beaten him (defendant.) Wintess denied that he made such a statement and asked defendant to bring forward the person who alleged he had said so. Defendant then struck him with his clenched fist on the right ear and staggered him. There was a man named Regan present and he interfered and prevented Lindsay from again striking him. The defendant was away for some time in the North Irish Horse, and he could not summon him until he came back.

By Mr Howley [for Lindsay] - You frequent McDermott's house? yes.

Was there glass broken there any time for which you paid? I did not break it, but I was with the others who broke it, and I paid for it with them.

On that night did you say anything about Lindsay? I never said a word to anyone about him.

Do you know that he belongs to the North Irish Horse? Yes

And on that night did you talk disrespectfully about Lindsay and the North Irish Horse, and say that the next time he came through Grange in uniform he would be beaten? No.

You never said you would beat him? No.

When he spoke to you about it did you deny it? Yes, I told him to bring me before any man that told him I said it.

Did you sneer at him? No.

Did he draw any blood when he struck you? No.

You went to the fair at Kinlough the next day? Yes.

Why did you delay so long about getting out a summons? He was gone away.

Why didn't you take out the summons when he came home? I did not know when he came.

How long is he home now? It might be a month.

Why didn't you bring him here last court day? I was away from home.

Where? In Ballisodare.

To Mr McCormick [for Irwin] - He did give instructions about a summons while the defendant was up in the Yeomanry.

Barbour Regan corroborated the statement of the previous witness.

To Mr Howley - He did not consider it a very serious assault, and he had not any trouble preventing the defendant from striking the complainant when he interfered.

Mr Howley said he would examine a police witness as to the character of the defendant.

Constable Franklin said he knew the defendant, and he always found him a respectable young man of good character.

Mr McCormick - You have heard the evidence here today? yes.

And do you think he would have been a better young man if he had stayed on his cart and passed on? I would not care to offer an opinion.

Mr Howley said the case was not one which should have been brought into Court at all, as it was too trivial, and he asked that the case be dismissed.

Mr McCormick said it was not fair that any man should be molested on the public road, and he asked that a conviction be recorded.

Mr Henn [magistrate] said that they agreed that the defendant deliberately assaulted complainant, and if it had not been for the interference of Regan the case might have been worse. They fined the defendant 5s and costs.

The Sligo Champion, 9 March 1912


On 17 August 1914 Lindsay embarked for France with A Squadron, seeing action on the retreat from Mons and advance to the Aisne.

In March 1915 he was twice hospitalised at the No.10 Stationery Hospital at St Omer due to meningitis and measles.

When Lindsay's term of service ended he chose to leave the army. He left France on 20 February 1916 and on 25 February was discharged at Antrim as 'time expired'. His record of service was marked as 'very good'.